Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Immeasurably More

Over the last couple of weeks I have been thinking about eph. 3:20-21

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever Amen!"

When Brian and I were getting married we would pray this scripture a lot. I remember feeling how I felt God's "Immeasurable" power at work in our lives. Brian and I felt our love was beyond what we could have prayed and asked God for. It was so surprising.

This immeasurable that Paul is writing about in this part of the letter refers back to the first part of the letter in 1:19-21 where he writes:

"and his incomparable great power for us who believe, that power is like the working of his mighty strength, which is exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come."


The early church surly thought that the resurrection was beyond what they could have prayed for in a Messiah. That Christ could raise from the dead had to have be mind blowing. God was up to something in the heavenly and earthly realm....in all power through all time. All of this was evidenced in CHRIST. It was so surprising.

Yet this immeasurable more is not limited to the resurrection because it is through all time.....so he is currently showing his immeasurable greatness. He is letting his glory shine through the church in all generations...so that means in us too. He is still working...sometimes that is so surprising.

Sometimes I forget that God is suppose to be immeasurably more.... I am a person who likes to figure things out. How to fix the mower, how to make a blog, how to manage Regan's health, how to make Pesto myself, how to study the Bible.....I want to know! Sometimes I can trick myself into thinking I can know God. If I just read enough of the right thing for the right amount of time I will know Him. Yet he is IMMEASURABLY MORE!

I am currently looking for ways that God can show me immeasurably more of himself. I want to trust that Paul is right...HE IS ABLE. Sadly sometimes that reality surprises me!
So I'll make Paul's prayer my own.

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurable more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever Amen!"


1 comment:

Heidi McKee said...

That is one of my favorite scriptures! I love the song Acappella sings putting that scripture to music. It is sad we are "surprised" but praise God He never lets us down.