Thursday, August 09, 2007

All In A Day's Work

We have always known that when God knew what Regan's journey on this planet would look like he knew Rylee and Ryder were up to the task. As they grow up we continue to have that truth confirmed. They know they love her but they don't see how amazing suited their gifting is for this particular task.

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10

Saturday night Ryder and Rylee were watching a movie with Regan while Brian and I hung out with some friends on the back deck. I came in every few minutes to check on Regan but Rylee knew she was to "babysit" her even though I could seem them both through the back sliding glass door. About 10:30p Rylee said "Ryder get mom and dad Regan is choking"......I was already up before she finished the sentence with Brian right behind me. As we came in the room we could see Regan's face was completely blue and she was struggling with no avail to get air into her lungs. Brian and I began suction and put her on oxygen. Within 10 minute we were giving her a breathing treatment. Ryder was helping his dad get everything all hooked up. Ruthie our friend helped by holding Regan's head back for a clear airway while I suctioned.....we all worked as a team. With God's indwelling power we saved Regan's life.

This week has been hard because she has been on round the clock breathing treatments and she is back on oxygen. When I took her in on Tuesday for her appointment according to the Diane our nurse "she sounds clear". That is amazing considering that at one point there was no air in her left lung.

If Rylee had not responded as quickly as she did we would have had a very different looking week. Each time I want to complain about being tired I am I just remember that I am so glad that Regan is here with me and that I have her here to give a breathing treatment to. This is better than the alternative. We will keep you updated as things change but she is doing better each day.

As Brian was tucking her into bed on Saturday night he was telling her how proud he was of her for really paying attention and for being a quick thinker. She said, "Ha, I saved Regan's life and even the doctors couldn't do that!" He told her that he felt bad because he and mama weren't right there with Regan. Rylee said, "Why did you and Mama need to be right there...Regan was with me...she didn't want to be with the adults she wants to be with me. We were playing footsie, nose kisses, and snuggling...I even moved Regan's chair so she could see the movie better." Rylee is right....Regan is right where she needs to be....right here with us... with a big sister named Rylee who just considers saving her sisters life no big deal because it is all in a day's work.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Momma, you guys have raised three amazing kids! We love all of you!

Shan said...

Hope you know that you can bring tears to my eyes from half way around the world. I'm so thankful that I have been able to keep up with what's going on with you here in Niger. As always, I'm blessed by your perspective on life and love for God...

A boy named Toadie said...

This blessed me today. Thanks for sharing your life.

Nathan

B. Claire said...

Thank you for your sweet children's lives that have blessed us all. They learn from the great examples they have for parents.